“Deaf and hearing Interpreters: Employed together – How?”
From 12th to 13th September 2018 in Dubrovnik
In cooperation with the Croatian Association of Sign Language Interpreters (CASLIFD)
Registration deadline: 2nd September 2018
The World of Employment for Deaf people and Deaf Interpreters: Making it Work
This two day workshop will explore our experiences and thoughts on the world of work – work for Deaf people who use interpreting services, the world of work for Deaf interpreters, and how hearing interpreters fit into that. Markus brings his Deaf experience and Debra brings her experience as a hearing interpreter, and we will blend that experience to uncover what it means to be a professional interpreter in the world of work. Join us for discussions and activities on these topics:
– What does it mean to be a member of the sign language community and also have a role as an interpreter?
– What does the sign language community expect for us?
– How does our service support other deaf people in accessing employment?
– What can deaf and hearing interpreter do to develop effective relationships?
– How do we support and offer feedback to each others?
– What skills do we need for settings – translation, conferences, courts, medical and mental health settings, and how do build that into our professional development plans?
Address of the training venue:
- Wednesday, 12th of September 2018 from 09:00-18:00
- Thursday, 13th of September 2018 from 09:00-18:00
Who are our trainers?
Dr Debra Russell (Canada), PhD, is a Canadian certified interpreter, educator and researcher. Her interpreting practice spans over thirty years. She has worked with Deaf interpreters since the early 1980’s and continues today. Her interpreting focus is medical, legal, mental health and employment settings.
She has had a long history of leadership positions at the local, national and international level, serving on several volunteer organizations. She is the current President of the World Association of Sign Language Interpreters (WASLI), and a Commissioner for the Commission on Collegiate Interpreter Education (CCIE). As the previous David Peikoff Chair of Deaf Studies, her research interests included mediated education with interpreters, interpreting in legal settings and with legal discourse, and Deaf-hearing interpreter teams. She is extensively published in the field of interpretation. She loves to travel and has presented in over 52 countries.
Markus Aro (Finland) graduated from interpretation programme in HUMAK in 2006. After that he established an interpreting company VIPARO and he is working as a CEO for almost 20 employees. His interpreting work has included meetings of FAD and WFD, working with refugees, Deafblinds and social services. He has also worked at international settings for over ten years.
Communication at the School
Training will be in International Sign (IS).
Any official correspondence will be in written English.
Inquiries both in written English or in IS video format are welcome.
Who can register?
Sign language interpreters interested in this topics.
For the first time, the efsliDI annual seminar will be open also to hearing interpreters. Training will be delivered in International Sign. No interpretation service will be provided.
Your place on the course will be confirmed by email.
Please do not book your accommodation or flight until your place on the course has been confirmed. Or if you do so, it will be at your own risk.
Selection of participants will be made according to the “first come, first served” system.
Training will take place if the required minimum number of participants has registered.
How much does it cost?
The registration fee includes tuition, coffee breaks and lunches with sandwiches. Participants will have to arrange for their own accommodation and travel.
Payments must be made the same day of registration. If not, your registration is not valid.
Please email a copy of the proof of your payment to the efsli back office. If you have difficulties when making your payment, please immediately contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration (+ payment) deadline is 2nd September 2018
Registration fees (please carefully check your country’s GDP):
efsliDI seminar ONLY :
- efsli individual member (GDP up to 20.000 €) 110,00 euros
- efsli individual member (GDP exceeding 20.000 €) 160,00 euros
- non efsli individual member (GDP up to 20.000 €) 210,00 euros
- non efsli individual member (GDP exceeding 20.000 €) 260,00 euros
COMBO FEES (efsliDI seminar + efsli Conference):
- efsli individual member – efsliDIseminar+ efsli conference (GDP up to 20.000€): 420 euros
- efsli individual member – efsliDIseminar+ efsli conference (GDP exceeding 20.000€) : 470 euros
- Non efsli individual member – efsliDI seminar + efsli conference (GDP up to 20.000€) : 550 euros
- Non efsli individual member – efsliDI seminar + efsli conference (GDP exceeding 20.000€): 600 euros
- efsli individual member – efsliDI seminar + AGM & Conference (GDP up to 20.000€): 520 euros
- efsli individual member: – efsliDI seminar + AGM & Conference (GDP exceeding 20.000€) : 570 euros
- Non efsli individual member – efsliDI seminar + AGM & Conference (GDP up to 20.000€): 681 euros
- Non efsli individual member – efsliDI seminar + AGM & Conference (GDP exceeding 20.000€): 731 euros
Individual membership is open to Sign Language Interpreters within Europe and other interested persons who subscribe to the aim and objectives of efsli.
Sign language interpreters who are members of National Associations (full members of efsli) are not automatically individual efsli members. You can become an individual member here:
Please be advised that if you wish to cancel your registration then the following applies.
If your cancellation is received:
- before 2nd September 2018: 50% refund minus bank transfer fee
after 2nd September 2017: no refund
Changes in registration is 50 Euro. This charge will be applied if you decide not to cancel your registration but send someone else instead of you. Cancellations must be sent by email to email@example.com and need to be confirmed by efsli.
How do I register?
Registration and payment deadline is 2nd September 2018.
Please use this link for registration
PAYPAL (+ charges)
If you like to pay by paypal, please use the paypal buttons below.