Building effective relationships between Deaf professionals and interpreters.
Team perspectives in interpreter-mediated settings with Deaf professionals.”
From 29th June to 1st July 2018 in Zurich
In cooperation with BGD
Registration deadline: 18th June 2018
In the recent years, the growing number of Deaf Professionals in European countries has been observed. This leads to a higher demand of qualified interpreters. At the efsli Summer school we are going to explore a number issues that are pertaining to interpreter-mediated settings with Deaf Professionals and to experiences of both Deaf professionals and interpreters in teams.
The following topics will be covered:
1. Deaf Professionals: How do we define Deaf Professionals? How do they define themselves?
2. Role of Interpreters: How are the current traditional interpreter roles in interpreter-mediated settings with Deaf Professionals? What are the perspectives of Deaf Professionals?
3. Expectations of Deaf Professionals: What are the needs of Deaf Professionals in interpreter-mediated settings from both perspectives?
4. Interpreters’ Autonomy: What are the challenges of interpreters acting on their own autonomy?
5. Designated Interpreters, Adaptability and Constructing Co-Space: How does a Designated Interpreter adapt their role? How would like Deaf Professionals „design“ the role of interpreters? What are efficient strategies for constructing co-space? How do we identify and solve challenging issues?
6. Language Use: What are the issues of Language Use in Interpreting Settings with Deaf Professionals? What are linguistic needs of Deaf professionals? What about multilingual and international settings?
7. Control and Demand Schema as a framework of analyzing co-space in interpreter-mediated settings: What are environmental, interpersonal, (extra-)linguistic and intrapersonal demands, and what are resources available to an interpreter and a Deaf professional in order to respond to the demands of the job?
Further information will be given to registered participants.
Address of the training venue:
Gehörlosen Zentrum Zürich
CH-8057 Zürich Switzerland
- Friday 29th June from 4:15 pm to 7:30 pm
- Saturday 30th June from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday 1st July from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Who is our trainer?
Prof. Christian Rathmann, Humboldt University, Berlin (Germany)
Dr. Christian Rathmann is professor in the Section for Deaf Studies and sign language interpreting at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany, where he directs BA and MA programs in Deaf Studies and sign language interpreting. Moreover, he co-directs two professional training programs in Deaf interpreting/Translation and sign language education at Universität Hamburg, Germany. His ongoing research projects include (but not limited to) interpreting & translation studies, linguistics for signed languages (esp. sign language corpus), LI/12 acquisition, sign language learning & teaching and Deaf Studies.
Communication at the School
Training will be in International Sign (IS).
Any official correspondence will be in written English.
Inquiries both in written English or in IS video format are welcome.
Who can register?
This training is designed for:
• (Deaf and hearing) interpreters who have some experience working with Deaf Professionals or would like to learn more about this topic;
• Deaf professionals/Deaf university students who regularly work with interpreters;
In addition, it is open to advanced students majoring in interpreting who are going to work with Deaf professionals.
Your place on the course will be confirmed by email.
Please do not book your accommodation or flight until your place on the course has been confirmed. Or if you do so, it will be at your own risk.
Selection of participants will be made according to the “first come, first served” system.
Training will take place if the required minimum number of participants has registered.
How much does it cost?
The registration fee includes tuition, coffee breaks and course material. Participants will have to arrange for their own accommodation and travel.
Payments must be made the same day of registration. If not, your registration is not valid.
Please email a copy of the proof of your payment to the efsli secretariat. If you have difficulties when making your payment, please immediately contact the efsli back office at email@example.com
Registration (+ payment) deadline is 8th June 2018
Registration fees (please carefully check your country’s GDP):
- efsli individual member (GDP exceeding 20.000 €) 210,00 euros
- non efsli individual member (GDP exceeding 20.000 €) 420,00 euros
- efsli individual member (GDP up to 20.000 €) 110,00 euros
- non efsli individual member (GDP up to 20.000 €) 220,00 euros
- SLI students* 100,00 euros
* please provide a university student ID or a statement of your student status from the vocational training that you are attending. Age: under the age of 26.
Please click here for the GDP of your country (opens in a new window)
Individual membership is open to Sign Language Interpreters within Europe and other interested persons who subscribe to the aim and objectives of efsli.
Sign language interpreters who are members of National Associations (full members of efsli) are not automatically individual efsli members. You can become an individual member here:
Individual Members Application Form
Please be advised that if you wish to cancel your registration then the following applies.
If your cancellation is received:
- before 8th June 2018: 50% refund minus bank transfer fee
after 8th June 2017: no refund
Changes in registration is 50 Euro. This charge will be applied if you decide not to cancel your registration but send someone else instead of you. Cancellations must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and need to be confirmed by efsli.
How do I register?
Registration and payment deadline is 18th June 2018.
Please use this link for registration
PAYPAL (+ charges)
If you like to pay by paypal, please use the paypal button below.
Please tranfer the fee + bank charges to:
BNP Parisbas, Belgium
IBAN: BE71 2900 1504 9569
Account number: 290 – 0150495 – 69
EFSLI (European Forum of Sign Language Interpreters)
Please add in the description of the bank transfer: your name and “2018 efsli Summer school”
[…] For detailed information, please go to our info webpage at: https://efsli.org/2018-efsli-summer-school/ […]
[…] Erasmus+ programme has supported training sessions on SL interpreting and a course in quality in educational interpreting, co-organised by the […]