2018 efsli Spring school
“Interpreting for Deaf refugees and immigrants”
from 20th to 22nd April 2018 in Malta
In cooperation with
Registration deadline: 6th April 2018
Interpreting for deaf refugees is extremely demanding regarding emotional investment andstrategic communication of interpreters and the collaboration between participants in the setting. Ege Karar will present salient aspects of working in this highly sensitive setting. He will illustrate typical pitfalls and explore strategic ways out.
- The intercultural differences and synergies between refugees of deeply religious Christian and Muslim backgrounds in a Christian-secular legal environment.
- The power differentials between the host and refugee culture and within the respective cultures regarding ableism and sexism.
- The collaboration between deaf and hearing interpreter on the one hand, the interpreters and the other participants on the other.
- Interpreting position for refugees is international networking of professional work.
The training method employed, Interpreting Enactments, allows for theoretical and practical input and self-reflection
Here is the content of the training in International Sign – meet our trainer!
Address of the training venue:
Professional Development Centre
Address: Triq il-Ħarrub, St. Venera, Malta SVR 9018
- Friday 20th April from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Saturday 21st April from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday 22nd April from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Who is our trainer?
Ege Karar is a social pedagogue, systemic advisor and Deaf sign language interpreter in DGS, TID and IS. He works at the RWTH University of Aachen, Germany, and leads the project Deaf Train improving the transcultural social skills of deaf and hard-of-hearing persons, especially migrants. He serves the National Deaf Association as a committee member for migration and refugees, and networks the Deaf Muslim communities across countries.
Communication at the School
Training will be in International Sign (IS).
Any official correspondence will be in written English.
Inquiries both in written English or in IS video format are welcome.
Who can register?
Sign language interpreters interested in this topic with or without experience with Deaf refugees.
Your place on the course will be confirmed by email.
Please do not book your accommodation or flight until your place on the course has been confirmed. Or if you do so, it will be at your own risk.
Selection of participants will be made according to the “first come, first served” system.
Training will take place if the required minimum number of participants has registered.
How much does it cost?
The registration fee includes tuition, coffee breaks and course material. Participants will have to arrange for their own accommodation and travel.
Payments must be made the same day of registration. If not, your registration is not valid.
Please email a copy of the proof of your payment to the efsli secretariat. If you have difficulties when making your payment, please immediately contact the efsli back office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration (+ payment) deadline is 6th April 2018
- efsli individual member (GDP up to 20.000 €) 120,00 euros
- efsli individual member (GDP exceeding 20.000 €) 220,00 euros
- non efsli individual member (GDP up to 20.000 €) 170,00 euros
- non efsli individual member (GDP exceeding 20.000 €) 270,00 euros
Individual membership is open to Sign Language Interpreters within Europe and other interested persons who subscribe to the aim and objectives of efsli.
Sign language interpreters who are members of National Associations (full members of efsli) are not automatically individual efsli members. You can become an individual member here:
Please be advised that if you wish to cancel your registration then the following applies.
If your cancellation is received:
- before 6th April 2018 : 50% refund (minus bank transfer fee)
- after 6th April 2018: no refund
Changes in registration is 50 Euro. This charge will be applied if you decide not to cancel your registration but send someone else instead of you. Cancellations must be sent by email to email@example.com and need to be confirmed by efsli.
How do I register?
Registration and payment deadline is 6th April 2018.
Please use this link for registration
If you like to pay by paypal, please use the paypal button below.
Please tranfer the fee + bank charges to:
BNP Parisbas, Belgium
IBAN: BE71 2900 1504 9569
Account number: 290 – 0150495 – 69
EFSLI (European Forum of Sign Language Interpreters)
Please add in the description of the bank transfer: your name and “2018 efsli Spring school”